The rest day.

Today was going to be our rest day. Our plan was to climb Castleton Tower tomorrow so we wanted to be well rested for the climb. So we drove around Arches National Park. We hiked the 1.5 miles to the Delicate Arch. The hike was easy and was well worth the view. Once we got to the arch the wind was blowing like crazy. We took a few pictures and headed back down to the car. Our next stop was going to be the Landscape Arch. The hike out to the Landscape Arch was only about a half mile. The trail that takes you up to the arch has been closed since 1991 so you could only see it from the main trail. In 1991 a 600 ton chunk of rock fell from the right side of the arch and crash to the ground below. There were some visitors that actually had video and pictures of the rock falling.

When we got back to the car we headed for Owl Rock, which was open to climbing. We debated about doing the single pitch climb on the formation, but decided against it since the wind was blowing about 30 mph and the climb was fairly exposed.

On our way out we stopped at the visitors’ center and watch a video on how the area around Arches National Park was formed. It was a really interesting video. The landscape out here was well worth the trip alone.

After lunch we headed out to the Las Sal Mountains to see if the road to the top was open. On our way up we passed the local climbing area out there and there were some people climbing so we thought we would go and check it out. There was still snow on the ground so that make the hike in a little muddy. We had to make our way to a chain ladder that would allow us to climb down the cliff to the bottom. Once we got to the ladder we decided it probably wasn’t safe to descend the ladder without gear, so we turned around and headed back to the rode. I think we each ended up on our butts on the hike down to the ladder.

Once back to the car we continued to make our way up the winding road to the top of the Las Sal Mountains. On our way up we passed a couple of nice Bed & Breakfast’s that sat on top of the mountain and over looked the valley. We made our way to the access road to the top but it was still closed due to the snow.

As we headed down the road took us through Castle Valley, which was the home of Castleton Tower and the multi-pitch route we had driven to Moab to do. After we arrived back in town we checked the weather and decided we would ride Burrows Pass tomorrow instead of climbing Castleton since the weather was going to be bad.

We headed out to the area where Burrows Pass was located. It was about 18 miles north and 5 miles west of Moab. After doing some back country driving we found a nice camp site. We gathered some wood before it got dark and then found that the fire ring was full of ashes so we decided we would bury the ashes and make a new fire ring. After digging four 3 foot deep holes we finally removed all the ashes. Jerry then started the fire and Katie put up the tent. After camp was set up we decided we would have a Mexican dinner night. I had a beef enchilada dinner and Jerry and Katie had a chicken enchilada dinner.

After dinner I sat by the fire and finished my book. I finally finished it around 11:30 long after Jerry and Katie went to bed.

This entry was posted in General, Moab, UT - April 2006, Troy. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s